Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Language Camp and Departure Part One

    • Hi, I think in bullet points, so I an going to write in them!! Enjoy!




    • Pre Departure was at the Dulles Hilton Hotel
    • Had orientation with German inbound students
    • Roommate Carlo Hapke, 15
    • Found out I was going to Frauenlob Gymnasium in Mainz, only a few miles from Wendy Osbourne
    • Said Goodbye to Germans. Special to those who helped me read my school's webpage (Vincent and Stella)
      • Airport
    • Flight 989 to Frankfurt, United Airlines
    • Economy Class, last row on plane, ICK!
    • Seat 45B
    • Left at 5:30 pm
    • Sat next to Joy'e when she took an empty seat
    • We talked for 8 hours straight because our movies wouldn't work
    • I REALLY WANTED TO SEE IRON MAN 3! I will have to rent it soon…
    • I ordered mineral water in German! "Eine mineralwasser, bitte?". The flight attendant rolled her eyes, but it really boosted my confidence.
    • Joy'e and I drew pictures for the two flight attendants. She drew a really cool flower and I did an abstract design. They were really nice and tried to get our movies working again, but with no avail. I wrote the quote on my drawing- "When life throws you curves, go with the flow". She was really happy and gave me a big hug and United wings that they give to kids. I put them on my Nautica bag where they will stay for a long time.
    • Landed at 7 am in Frankfurt. Saw lots of world airlines.
    • Took pictures of all the Lufthansa signs. Set it as cell phone background. Really funny signs….
    • Saw my first German bakery. I could have spent €100 really easily.
    • Went through customs. That was quick and efficient because be arrived earlier than the usual America-Europe rush. Got a stamp!
    • Got on a bus with a reeeeeeealy slow driver. Cars were literally going 90 to 100mph on the Autobahn. Coolest thing ever!
    • Arrived at Schloss Wittgenstein, after 2 hours of German studying. Drove up a huge hill, and realized will have to climb up and down that every day to get to the town of Bad Laasphe. Really pretty town.  That's the view.
    • Met the staff (All under 26)
    • Had Lunch. It was in the basement of the castle and a buffet. It was among the best meals I ever had. However, nothing compares to my mother's cooking! I tried spetzle, which is thick and soggy noodles with a meat/red sauce. It's hard t explain but I understand why the German students we met love it. It was amazing! They also had sausage, which was the best I had ever had, and really good yogurt. The bread and the butter was to die for. It was so fresh and fluffy, yet still like a hard roll. I tried one with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Yum!
    • Got unpacked and I will be rooming with Dylan Mittag. He is sleeping right now.
    • I started making plans with Wendy who is 10 minutes from me to hang out after school with our friends.
    • The dorm room door decorating championship is in the bag. Dylan and I are so going to win! I used the buttons I brought to spell "Aaron and Dylan"
    • We brought a case of sparkling water up to our room to drink. I love it already!


No comments:

Post a Comment